|This article is about the Acid Mushroom. You may be looking for the Deep Shroom.|
The player can pick them by hand. The player can also strike one with a Survival Knife to kill it and collect four Acid Mushroom Spores, which releases acid into the water that can cause damage to the player, structures, and nearby fauna and flora.
Acid Mushrooms appear as stout purple-colored mushrooms growing on the seabed. There are two variations of Acid Mushrooms: a small one with a purple hue, and a larger one with a bright magenta cap and the rest of it fading to a dull violet color. Both variants emit faint bioluminescence at night, like most fauna and flora.
As a defense mechanism, the Acid Mushroom has the ability to burst open and release acid when damaged, damaging the player and destroying itself in the process. Vehicles like the Seamoth can also take heavy damage from ramming into or colliding with Acid Mushrooms. An Acid Mushroom's blast may also damage other Acid Mushrooms in close proximity, possibly causing a chain reaction that can deal heavy damage to the player, structures and vehicles if multiple Acid Mushrooms in a cluster are destroyed without the proper precautions.
For maximum caution, the best strategy is to pick up all nearby mushrooms before knifing a mushroom for its spores. Each mushroom drops four spores, so the player can pick three mushrooms and collect spores from the fourth to restock their mushroom supply.
Uses In Crafting
Data Bank Entry
A common, spore-bearing fungi species. The flesh contains a highly acidic compound which leaches into the water if the outer skin is penetrated.
It is not clear which predator species necessitated such extreme counter-measures, but the acid mushroom's numbers suggest it has successfully deterred most of them.
Assessment: Inedible - Acid has applications in battery fabrication
- The Acid Mushroom has a subspecies called the Deep Shroom, which can be found in the Blood Kelp Zone, the Sea Treader's Path, the Inactive Lava Zone, and the Lost River.
- Acid Mushrooms were edible in older versions of Subnautica.
- Acid Mushrooms were originally called Puffshrooms. Upon being touched, they were intended to shrink, a feature present in early versions of Subnautica
- Acid Mushrooms have one of the highest energy densities of all flora in Subnautica and are extremely abundant, making them useful as fuel for the Bioreactor.
- ↑ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wxd1vELgoKfrSOnen65mnb5d5DAn7RtyUSd5ymy4JQ4/edit?usp=sharing