|This article is about Blighter in Subnautica. For the related article on the Below Zero Wiki, see Blighter.|
|This article is about the Blighter. You may be looking for the Biter.|
The Blighter is a subspecies of the Biter that can be found around the Blood Kelp Caves and Blood Kelp Zone. Much like its relative, the Blighter is a very territorial creature and will attack the player when nearby.
The Blighter closely resembles a Biter, with a few differences which, in general, give it a far more withered, but menacing appearance:
- Its eyes have dark brown sclera and milky-white pupils, giving off a "zombified" look.
- Its body is golden-ish brown on the dorsal side with a pale white underbelly.
- On its front, a short protrusion emitting a dull red bioluminescent glow is featured.
- A single tail (fin) suggests that movement for this creature must be very hard, which implies that in order to supply that massive muscle, it needs a surprising amount of food.
The Blighter's main differentiating traits from the Biter are its slower speed and smaller aggressive range, which may be a result of its blindness. The Blighter does not share the Biter's pack-forming mentality, preferring to hunt as individuals. It slowly patrols its vicinity and often emits ghastly screeches and hisses. The Blighter will attack creatures that come too close, dealing 7 damage to the player.
Data Bank Entry
Small predator that shares close resemblance to the more common biter, but tends towards a more solitary, less aggressive hunting style.
1. Olfactory Stalk:
Assessment: Avoid or incapacitate
- The Blighter has a similar appearance to both the Angler Fish and the Tadpole.
- The word blight, when used as a verb, means to spoil, harm, or destroy. It also is linked with fungal infections which, coupled with its appearance, may be hinting at fungi such as ophiocordyceps unilateralis, also known as "zombie fungus" that infects ants.