|This article is about the Boneshark. You may be looking for the Sand Shark.|
The Boneshark is a large shark-like creature plated with a thick, hard segmented exoskeleton, featuring a large head and irregular teeth that, instead of protruding from the gums, are an extension of its exoskeleton. Though it lacks dorsal fins, it does have two barbed pectoral fins and a set of bony flukes. It is grey in color with orange patterns on its head and on the peripherals of each bone plate. The shark also features two reflective green eyes with slit, snake-like pupils.
The Boneshark is carnivorous, so it can be seen chasing other smaller fish, such as the Peeper or the Boomerang. It is highly aggressive, often going so far as to attack members of its own species. Once the player is spotted, it will charge at them while screeching. Bonesharks are rather fast and are more than capable of catching up to the player. To avoid them, swim in a circular motion until the creature loses interest or get into a submersible. The Repulsion Cannon is also an effective tool to fend them off. The Boneshark's bite deals 30 damage to the player. It deals less damage to submersibles, but is still a threat. Bonesharks are also attracted to lights. Because of this, the creature can also be distracted using Flares or by using a Creature Decoy. When Bonesharks are attacked, they will turn to face their attacker and attack back, usually causing the attacker to flee. They also might make noises similar to the Reaper Leviathan.
Another thing to note is that this shark is especially aggressive towards the seamoth, and will restlessly headbutt it dealing 15% damage each time even if the player isn't in it. However with players, they will almost always ignore them making them seem almost passive.
Spoiler alert: The following section contains story related material.
The Bonesharks inside the Primary Containment Facility's Aquarium are not hostile to the player, and are thus not a threat.
Data Bank Entry
A large and powerful predator that lives in small groups and fiercely defends its hunting grounds.
1. Thickly-armored Exoskeleton:
2. Large Eyeballs:
Generally slow and unresponsive as a means of energy conservation, they will act with uncompromising speed and aggression against any threat to their territory.
Assessment: Avoid - May be distracted by light sources
|Source: Scan Boneshark|
- The Sea Emperor Leviathan and the River Prowler previously used the AI of the Boneshark.
- Bonesharks once dwelled in large numbers in the Grassy Plateaus.
- Through a mistake, Bonesharks were incorrectly scaled at around half the size they were intended to be for the majority of the early access phase of Subnautica. This was fixed in the Voice of the Deep Update of 2017, where they were given a 50% size increase, then an additional 10% size increase on top of that.
- The Boneshark, along with the Lava Lizard and River Prowler, used to be aggressive to the Cyclops and were capable of damaging the submersible. This was removed in the Voice of the Deep update.
- Bonesharks often swim to neighbouring biomes, and can go as far as chasing small prey such as Peepers remarkably deep into the Kelp Forests and the Grassy Plateaus.