|This article is about Gel Sacks in Subnautica. To see this subject's article on the Below Zero Wiki, click here.|
It is usually found attached to the walls of caves. It can be either picked up or harvested for Gel Sack Spores by using a Knife. A Gel Sack gives one Spore per knife strike. Up to three Spores can be collected from a single Gel Sack in this way, with the Sack being destroyed by the third strike. Extracting Spores from a Gel Sack has no effect on its qualities as a raw material or food source if it is picked up. There is a bug using this, as hitting it with a knife twice, put it in the inventory, and hit it again will give you infinite amount of spores.
Either item can be planted in an Exterior Growbed. It is a good idea to establish a growbed for gel sacks, as Aerogel is used in several high-end recipes and the plants are fairly rare outside of deep regions.
Gel Sacks are unique among edible flora species in that they do not rot while in the player's inventory, making them a viable food and water source for longer trips, but they do not provide much food or water.
The Gel Sack is hemispheric in shape, and has a blackish green surface covered with thick, twisted ridges. Randomly scattered across its surface are protruding, bioluminescent purple spots.
Uses in Crafting
Data Bank Entry
These organic structures grow on cave walls. The purple sacks which arise from the surface contain a low-density gel laced with spores. These burst from time to time, floating towards the surface and attaching onto the next rock face they encounter.
While the gel sack is edible, its low-density renders it an invaluable advanced construction material.
Assessment: Edible - Aerogel construction applications
- The Gel Sack was originally called the Jelly Plant, and later the Spore Sack.
- A single Gel Sack can produce slightly more energy in the Bioreactor than one Acid Mushroom or Deep Shroom. However, Gel Sacks produce three spores per sack, one per knife strike, while the mushrooms produce 4 spores per mushroom. This makes the mushrooms less tedious to farm in Exterior Growbed.
- A good source of Gel Sacks used to be the Safe Shallows trench by the Aurora, but Gel Sacks there have since been removed from that location.
- Gel Sacks spawn on the underwater slopes of Mountain Island, including shallow waters near the beach.
- Gel Sacks are immune to brine.