|This article is about the Ion Cube in Subnautica. To see this subject's article on the Below Zero Wiki, click here.|
Ion Cubes are a piece of technology created by the Precursors. They can contain massive amounts of energy equivalent to a 'small nuclear detonation' in a stable state. Ion Cubes are used to power certain Precursor devices, such as Alien Arches, which will only function once an Ion Cube has been inserted. They can be used to craft Alien Tablets, as well as powerful Ion Batteries and Ion Power Cells.
Ion Cubes can be found in Alien Bases and some Alien Caches. Large Ion Cube Deposits can be found in the Alien Thermal Plant and the Primary Containment Facility. Like all large resource deposits, the Prawn Suit Drill Arm can break the deposit down into individual materials.
An unending supply of Ion Cubes can be acquired from the Large Ion Cube Deposit in the antechamber of the Primary Containment Facility; after the deposit has been depleted, the platform raises up and a ceiling-mounted laser begins generating a new deposit. Each of these deposits yield three Ion Cubes.
- Until the Primary Containment Facility is unlocked, Ion Cubes are a rare, finite and valuable resource. Players should think carefully before crafting Ion Cubes into other items and exercise caution when carrying Ion Cubes in their inventory.
- There are only 24 Ion Cubes spread across all the Alien Caches and Bases; not counting any deposits, only cubes which are player collectible without the need of Prawn Suit's Drill Arm.
Uses in Crafting
Data Bank Entry
This green mineral substance has no entry on the periodic table, and an unprecedented ability to store huge amounts of ionic energy within it.
- The former name for the Ion Cube was Ion Crystal.
- The Ion Cube was originally planned to also have use in the Ion Cube Matrix crafting recipe.
- It is interesting to note that the laser in the Primary Containment Facility seems to generate Ion Cubes using the same mechanism as a standard Fabricator.