|This article is about the Lava Lizard. You may be looking for the Lava Larva.|
The Lava Lizard is a large, densely built creature with scaly skin. It has two silver eyes set in dark-pink sockets. The creature has a wide and deep mouth. The top and bottom lips are both split which allows the mouth to open to a greater size. The teeth are sharp, with sixteen pairs, the front two pairs being modified into large protruding teeth that point forwards. Many scars can be seen around the eyes and head, as well as a few on its underbelly, presumably from battling other Lava Lizards for territory.
The skin on the creature's dorsal side is scaled, pale green and spotted with darker green patches, whilst the ventral side appears smoother, and beige-colored. It has two squat, three-digit limbs, each digit ending with a long claw and connected by pink webbing. The tail fin appears very similar, with three long spike-tipped structures connected by pink webbing. Just before the tail fin are a pair of small green fin-like structures, each bearing a single claw. Their bodies are heavily scarred which may imply fierce battling within the Lava Lizard species.
The Lava Lizard can swim through lava, creating a shell of hardened lava on their back which acts as armor. It can be broken using the knife or the Repulsion Cannon. Swimming through lava will also grant it the ability to spit a cooled chunk of lava at the player as a projectile attack. It can also ram the player after firing the projectile. Each attack deals 30% damage.
The projectile attack will cook any edible fish if it kills them.
Lava Lizards are resistant to the effects of the Thermoblade, and thus the tool is useless against them. This is most likely due to their own skin being adapted to the climates of the Inactive Lava Zone and Lava Lakes.
Data Bank Entry
Medium-sized predator adapted for life in volcanic regions, and remarkably able to spit molten rock at its foes.
1. Fore-mounted Mandibles:
2. Scar Tissue:
Assessment: Avoid, especially in the presence of lava flow
- The Lava Lizard's model before gaining a lava shell was once used for the Stalker before a more suitable model was chosen and the model was given to the Lava Lizard.
- The Lava Lizard and the Stalker are the only creatures in Subnautica that don't emit Bioluminescence.
- The Lava Lizard's magma shell emits light. However, it is not bioluminescence, as it comes from the magma rather than the Lava Lizard.
- The Lava Lizard could be a reference to the mythical salamander that used fire to form a layer of protection and was said to be born out of fire itself.
- The Lava Lizard, along with other medium-sized predators, were once able to attack the Cyclops. This feature has since been removed.