|This article is about the Sunbeam. You may be looking for the Aurora or the Degasi.|
The Sunbeam is a passing cargo ship captained by Avery Quinn that picked up the distress signal sent by the Aurora. It is significantly smaller than the Aurora, with a crew of only six people. The Sunbeam vessel appears to be of Alterra design, though is owned by a small trans-gov based in the Andromeda galaxy.
The player will start receiving transmissions from Avery on board the Sunbeam via the Radio some time after the player has started exploring the planet. The ship alerts the player to its imminent arrival, until it gives a forty-minute countdown to its eventual landing on the Mountain Island. It will give the player a signal with the landing coordinates.
The Sunbeam's Failed Rescue
The Sunbeam had planned to land on the Mountain Island to rescue the player. However, before it can land, the Quarantine Enforcement Platform activates, weaponizing itself and shooting the Sunbeam down, as it did with the Aurora and Degasi. As the Sunbeam is quite a bit smaller than the Aurora, which was relatively intact albeit heavily damaged with a massive amount of debris left behind, the Sunbeam is completely obliterated, its crew members are killed, and its debris rains down afterwards. Upon detonation of the Sunbeam when it is struck by the energy beam emitted by the Quarantine Enforcement Platform, debris can be seen dropping from the sky, but wrecks of the Sunbeam cannot be found on the map, likely falling into the Crater Edge.
However, if the player manages to disable the Quarantine Enforcement Platform before the Sunbeam arrives, Avery Quinn will inform them that they cannot attempt a landing due to large amounts of debris orbiting the planet. Despite the Sunbeam and its crew surviving, their attempt to rescue the player still fails, forcing the player to build the Neptune Escape Rocket.
|Player is present at Quarantine Enforcement Platform||
"Survivor, we see you!
|Player is absent at Quarantine Enforcement Platform||
"PDA: Picking up orbital transponder signature of trading vessel Sunbeam.
|Player disables the Quarantine Enforcement Platform before Sunbeam arrives||
"Aurora survivors, this is trading ship Sunbeam.
- The original dialogue that played when the player was not present at Mountain Island described the Sunbeam as a "Bulldog Class" vessel.
- If the player is not on the island when the Sunbeam arrives but is still able to see the sky, the player can still see the Sunbeam and observe its destruction. To allow for this happen, the actual model for the Sunbeam in-game is almost the size of the Aurora.
- If the Quarantine Enforcement Platform is shut down whilst the countdown timer is already active, a bug occurs where the Sunbeam's final cutscene plays out anyways. However, only Audio is heard, as the Quarantine Enforcement Platform stays offline. The beam and explosion are still visible, however.
- Seemingly by chance, the Sunbeam can be fully invisible when the final cutscene plays out. There is no specific cause, but it has happened to many on multiple occasions.
- If the player uses the cheat 'precursorgunaim' they will still receive messages from the sunbeam, and the timer for the sunbeam's landing will still start, however it will not end. Instead it will count down infinitely even after going to the negatives.